Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dragons and Aliens

Movies affect different people in different ways. I just got back from watching the new Dreamworks film "How to Train your Dragon." I give it high marks.

I am lucky enough to have a 7 year old in my house so I see a lot of animated movies. As an artist, I would be seeing many of these films anyway, but there's a stigma attached to animation. I feel like I owe someone an apology or and explanation when I see one. The truth is I do not, but there's always that feeling that I am being judged. Judging other people is something I try very hard NOT to do, so maybe I am hypersensitive to being on the receiving end. I don't know, but at any rate, I feel guilty for liking these movies sometimes. Guilty of what? I'm really not 100% sure. Does being a creative person make you less of a grown up? I think it does, but not really in a negative way.

Let's face it... there are only two kinds of people in the world: Creative people and those who have forgotten that they are. I pity them. I really do. It's like someone carved their insides out and left nothing but bitter hateful bile inside of them. I really think we all have a creative side, but the majority of people dismiss it. They just do. I'm not sure why.

I had an ugly exchange with a person very close to me this week in which some of my art was referred to as "...your effing stupid cartoons." Artists grow and get better by working. There's not always a piece of paper or a degree which officially records their achievements and failures. The greatest teacher to an artist is the work itself, and growing and getting better is a personal journey for everyone, but especially creative people.

Part of what always makes me crazy when I go to see a film like Dreamworks' "Dragon," is that it serves as proof. Proof that somewhere, artists are assembling, working and succeeding en mass, despite the venom of those that judge them. Sometimes I feel like an alien. I feel lately like it's time to get on the mother ship and bail on this outpost. It would feel good to be among others who "get it," for a while, instead stranded here in this outpost almost alone.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bean829 said...

*waves*
i call shot gun...
this quote needs to be on a shirt
"there are only two kinds of people in the world: Creative people and those who have forgotten that they are."

there are quite a few animated films that i've seen that are awesome picture wise, but the script or acting is terrible. i think it's rare to find the whole package in any film, when you do it's certainly a gem.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home